The word elakizhi is a malyalam word is a combination of two words that is“ELA” meaning leaves and “KIZHI” means bundles. Elakizhi refers to thesudation performed by specially prepared bundle of medicinal leaves.
Charak” grouped that under “ Sankar Sweda”.It is a highly rejuvenating treatment similar to Navarkizhi, except herbs are used in place of rice. Fresh leaves of anti Vata plants, such as Eranda (Ricinus communis), Arka (Calotropis Procera), Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata), Coconut leaves, lemon and curcumin are fried with herbal ingredients and tied into cloth boluses.
Pre-Operative Measures :
- The patient are seated with leg extended over the Droni facing to the east direction.
- Abhyangam is performed with prescribed medicated oil all over the body for about 10 min.
- Talam with suitable oil / Choornam is applied.
The prepared Kizhi is heated with suitable oil in a hot iron pan up to 40-45’c.
It is applied after checking the Temperature, throughout the body with mild pressure in seven prescribed position by two Attendant standing on both sides of the Droni.
Care is to maintain the temperature throughout the procedure by reheating the the Kizhi.
- Relieves body pain
- Arthritis problems
- Problems in lower back area
- Stiff joints
- Generalized body pain
- Slipped Disc
- Reducing obesity
- Dryness of the skin
- Curative & Rejuvnative effect
- Improves muscles strength
- Numbness of legs
- improves the Blood circulation
- Improves the skin complexion & rejuvenates the body
Other Points :
- It can be done in a perfectly healthy person to enhance his / her immunity , vitality and longevity of life.
- it is powerful anti inflammatory treatment for muscular and joint inflammation
- Can promote better circulation within the affected area thereby promoting increased perspiration , which helps the skin to eliminate wastes .it is also helps to tone the skin (revitalization ) and can be superbly relaxing.
- Massage stimulates the nerves and helps to reduce pain.
- Treatment timing and intervals are assessed on the basis of the patient’s condition.