High Cholesterol Treatment with Ayurveda
High cholesterol treatment is necessary if you wish to avoid ailments like heart attack. If the level of LDL cholesterol increases in your blood then it increases the chance of heart attack and stroke. This is the reason that cholesterol treatment in Nagpur or elsewhere is necessary. The liver makes cholesterol and some foods also provide this compound. The foods that contain saturated and trans fat cause a lot of increase in the cholesterol levels. These types of foods cause the liver to produce extra cholesterol. However, there are foods and supplements derived from foods that help in the treatment of high cholesterol. However, bear in mind that it is always best to consult a doctor before you take any medicines or supplements. You should never try to self medicate yourself. If you consider the different systems of medicine then Ayurveda is the best system of medicine for treatment of high cholesterol. Let us look at some foods and supplements that reduce the level of LDL cholesterol in the blood.
- Niacin: Niacin is a B vitamin and doctors suggest you to take this vitamin to reduce the levels of cholesterol in the blood. Chicken and liver of goat and lamb are foods that contain high levels of niacin. It is also available in tablet form over the counter. Sometimes the niacin supplement can cause side effects like skin flushing and itching, nausea and more.
- Soluble fiber: There are two types of fiber – insoluble fiber and soluble fiber. Soluble fiber dissolves in liquid to form a gel-like composition and it lowers the absorption of cholesterol in the blood. Orange, pears, peaches, asparagus, potato, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, kidney beans are rich sources of soluble fiber. Hence if you are thinking of high cholesterol treatment then you should eat these foods more.
- Psyllium: Psyllium is made from the husks of the Plantago ovate plant and is a very good in reducing the level of bad cholesterol in the blood. Many studies have proved that regular intake of psyllium reduces the levels of cholesterol in the blood significantly.
- Phytosterols: These are waxes which are derived from the plants. They prevent the intestines from absorbing cholesterol. Foods like whole grains, nuts, fruits and vegetable naturally contain these waxes. Hence you should consume more of these as home remedies for cholesterol.
- Soy protein: Soy beans and foods made with them lower the LDL cholesterol a lot. Tofu, soy milk and steamed soy beans are good sources of lean protein. This means that if you eat these instead of fatty foods like beef it will reduce the overall cholesterol in your diet. Ayurvedic treatment for cholesterol includes such home remedies for maintaining the proper level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Garlic: This is a wonderful herb which is used in cooking and Ayurvedic high cholesterol treatment advises to take either garlic pearls which are easily available over the counter, or eat the whole garlic pieces after peeling them.