- Vomiting means Forceful contraction of the stomach that propel stomach contents up the oesophagus and throws it out of the mouth.
- Vomiting occurs due to intake of incompitable food,or gastritis or chronic illness.
- It is also present as symptoms in many diseases.
While nausea is uneasiness feeling of stomach which cause before vomiting.
Intake of Viruddha Ahar(Incompitable food)
- When somebody vomits immediately after food, it can be gastritis or peptic ulcer disease.
- If bile is vomited, then it may be pyloric stenosis (Projctile)
- Young child may come with green coloured bilious vomit and abdominal pain. intestinal obstructioncan be suspected
- Food poisoning
- Vomiting with abdominal pain and fever will be seen ingastroenteritis, urinary tractinfection, acute appendicitis, hepatitis, uremia
- Vomiting with severe headache is seen in migraing , increased intracranial pressure,meningitis, hemorrhagic stroke, very severe hypertension, some forms ofepilepsy and glaucoma.
- In young children with vomiting, headache, fever and neck stiffness suspect meningitis (Kerning’s sign)
- If there is vertigo, tinnitus, deafness associated with vomiting, think about meneirs disease
- Projectile vomiting is common in pancreatitis.
- Drug toxicity can be suspected in vomiting.
- Rare conditions. Like esophageal cancer, stomach ,cancer, achalasia, stricture esophagus, ymphoma in small intesting can also produce vomiting.
Chest and abdominal discomfort
- Liver function test
- Amylase, lipase
- USG abdomen pelvis
- CT abdomen with contrast
- Endoscopy can rule out these conditions.
- Functional psychiatric causes can cause vomiting.
- Cholelithiasis, cholecystitis are the causes of vomiting from gall bladder.
- In bulimia, the patient will vomit whatever has been eaten.
In a person emaciated due to physical excercise,irritant drugs,grief,illness,fear,fasting etc vayu aggrevated in mahastrotas(gastro-intestinal tract)excite and throw the doshas(impure contents) upwards and thus cause vomiting due to gastric irritation also producing discomfort pressing the cardiac region.
Line of Treatment-
- Agni dipana, vata anulomnana, ama pacana,
- Balajirakadi kasayam-
- Cardinigraha gana kasayam-
- Lajadi peya
- Sutshekar Rasa
- Kamdudha rasa
- Dhanvantra gulika
- Hinguvacadi gulika-
- Bhuktanjari gulika
- Mayurapiccha bhasmam –
- Since ausadha kala is muhur muhur, medicines should be administered frequently.
- Satahva should be slightly fried in a pan and should be boiled in a glass of water and filtered and sarkara has to be added and this fluid can be given intermittently to check vomiting.