Ulcerative colitis is a global condition affecting people world over. It may affect any age group, although there are peaks at ages 15 – 30 and then again at ages 50 – 70. Male & Females are equally affected.
It is a chronic disease of the large intestine. It rarely affects the small intestine.In this disease the lining of the colon becomes inflamed and develops tiny open sores, or ulcers, that produce pus and mucous. Due to inflammation and ulceration of intestine it causes abdominal discomfort and frequent emptying of the colon.
This disease is developed due to abnormal response by body’s immune system. Our body is protected from infection by our immune system.In people with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), the immune system mistakes food, bacteria, and other materials in the intestine for foreign or invading substances. When this happens, the body sends white blood cells into the lining of the intestines, where they produce chronic inflammation and ulcerations.
It stars with the rectal area, and may involve the entire large intestine over time. As this is the chronic condition, symptoms usually develop over time.
Signs and Symptoms
- Abdominal Discomfort Or Cramps
- Sudden severe diarrhea
- Rectal spasm and urge to defecate
- Rectal Bleeding
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- rectal bleeding
- Abdominal sounds
- Mouth ulcers
- loss of body fluids and nutrients
- skin lesions
- growth failure in children
- Bleeding produces anemia.
- There may be arthritis, episcleritis, erythema, nodosum, pyoderma gangrenosum, ankytlosing spondylitis, sacrolitis associated with this disease.
- Chronic active hepatitis, primary sclerosing chollangitis are also seen.
- Serious complication is seen in about 10 % of people.
- ESR will be elevated.
- Sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy confirms the diagnosis.
Irregular diet,improper food habits,intake of heavy foods,intake of spicy,pungent,acidic,sour,alkaline food,hot climate,smoking,anger etc cause vitiation of doshas(mainly pitta)which leads to mandagni.. Out of these three, when Pitta dosha gets imbalnced, vitiates intestines and causes Pittaja Grahani.
Pitta energy fuels all the biochemical activities, including transformation, digestion, metabolism and assimilation. Pitta is responsible for all the enzymatic and endocrine activity, regulation of body temperature, pigmentation, vision, intelligence, vitality, ambition, courage and understanding. The key qualities of pitta are hot, quick, light, liquid, spreading, slightly oily and fleshy smelling.
Pittaja Grahani produces the classical symptoms of Ulcerative colitis. Vitiation of Pitta, when reaches extreme will causes severe inflammation, ulceration and rectal bleeding (active phase or flare-up).
Line of Treatment
- vata pitta samana, vrana ropana should be the therapy.
- Conventional medicines like asta curnam, pippalyasavam, hinguvacadi curnam should not be selected.
- Aristas and asavas are not used.
- Virecanam is fully contraindicated , but pica vasti can be done
- Katu amla lavana varjitham is very important.
- Large intestine is a vatya sthana and vranam is because of pitta and raktha.
- Intermittent use of Madura and kasaya rasa is highly useful.
- Principles of pitta kapha grahani and rakta atisara are implemented.
- Stambhanam has to be done in few cases.
- Sodhanam,samanam, stambhanam are done based on avasta.
- Raktham is one of jiva dhana. If needed stambanam has to be done at first phase itself phase itself.
Anuvasana Basti prayog
Piccha basti prayoga
- Nyagrodadi gana kasayam – .
- Priyanguvadi gana kasayam
- Usiradi kasayam –
- Guducyadi kasayam –
- Mustadi gana kasayam –
- Bhunimbadi churna
- Yasti madhu churna
After attaining agnibala
- Mahatiktaka ghrtam
- Chandanadya ghrut
- Nagaradya ghruta
- Pravala pisti
- Swarna sutshekhar
- Bola parpati-
- Rasa parpati-