Njavarakizhi is also known as shashtikashali pinda swedam. It is a type of sudation process in which the whole body or any specific part is made to perspire, by the application of certain medicinal drugs with Njavara rice puddings externally in the form of boluses tied up in a muslin bag.Njavara in Malayalam stands for the rice (Shashtika Shali in Sanskrit) that grows in 60 days; Kizhi (Pinda in Sanskrit) stands for bolus. Njavara is an indigenous variety of rice grown in Kerala, having medicinal properties. It is a unique treatment procedure practiced by Kerala Ayurveda physicians (Vaidyas). This is applied by two to four masseurs for about 45 to 60 minutes per day for a period of 14 days. This treatment is for all type of pain in the joints, emaciation of limbs, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and certain kinds of muscular diseases (atrophy ).It is performed in Ekanga or Sarvanga with the bolus of boiled njavara with different kashaya & ksheera. Njavara is snigdha, guru, sthira ,sheeta and tridoshaghna, though a sweda karma, it has brimhanaguna.
- 2 warm Kizhi are gently applied in a synchronized manner by the two therapist on two side of Droni
- It is followed by a gentle massage with the other hand.
- They should ensure that the heat of the boluses is bearable to the patient by touching them over the dorsum of their hand.
- The temperature of the boluses should be maintained throughout the procedure by a continuous relay of the four boluses after reheating by dipping in milk kashayam mixture.
- The process is continued till the patient attains samyakswinnalakshana or until the content of the boluses exhausted.
- At the end of the procedure, the rice paste sticking over the body is removed using coconut leaves. A gentle massage is given with warm medicated oil once again.
This procedure is done in the seven positions as in kayasekam or as advised by the physician
Benefits of Njavarakizhi
- Very effective in curing diseases of nervous system.
- Chronic Rheumatism, Osteoarthritis
- Paralysis, Muscular weakness
- Emaciation of limbs and disease borne of vitiated blood
- Slow down aging process
- Makes the body supple and removes stiffness
- Relaxes the body and gives sound sleep
- Improves blood circulation and detoxifies the body.
- It also makes the body strong and sturdy with well-developed musculature.
- To get the skin glow, even for bride & grooms