This is the disease in which the cells are destroyied which destroy control essential muscle activity such as breathing, walking, speaking, and swallowing.
Nerve cells in the brain (called upper motor neurons) are transmitted the maessage to the nerve cells in the brain stem and spinal cord (called lower motor neurons).Then it transmitted to the particular muscles.
Due to impairement of signal, the work of this rout does not happened properly which results in muscle weakening, wasting , and uncontrollable twitching.
It also cause the loss of control of voluntary movement . Motor neuron diseases may be inherited or acquired, and they occur in all age groups.
This is more common in men than in women, and symptoms may appear after age 40.
According to Ayurveda, Motor Neuron Diseases is a caused by Vitiation of Vata Roga and Kshaya Roga. Vata dosha is responsible for the respiratory, blood, lymphatic, excretory, and reproductive systems functioning. It also responsible for functioning of the brain. It also controls the secretion of various chemical neurotransmitters and hormones. The modification from having a normality in life is due to the impediment in its sensory and motor activities by other doshas (Pitta and Kapha), or Dushyas like dhatus or Malas, thus leading to the disease. In such case, the vata becomes teemed by kapha dosha, thus leading to reduced activity, faintness, and spasm.
In Ayurveda its comes in to the under the class called as Kashta Saadhya Vyadhi (difficult to cure).
Causes for motor neuron disease:
- Vataprakopak ahar sevan- Overeating of dry,astringent,sour food causes the vitiation of vata dosha
- Physical and mental stress
- Ama sanchiti-Deposition of Toxines and impurities in body
- Improper diet
- deterioration of nervous system
- weak immune system
It is divided it to 4 types
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Progressive bulbar palsy (PBP)
- Progressive muscular atrophy (PMA)
- Primary lateral sclerosis (PLS)
- Spasticity of muscles
- Muscle wasting
- Weakness in muscles of the arms or legs.
- Difficulty in swallowing food and water.
- Slurring of speech
- Cramps, pains, and twitching in the muscles
- Change in voice
Medicines used in MND-
- Brahmi (Bacopa moneiri)
- Mandukparni (Centella asiatica)
- Shankhpuspi (Convulvus pluricaulis)
- Suvarnayukta Brahmi vatti
- Makardhwaj Vati
- Suvarna guggul
- Vatagajankush rasa
- Rasraj Rasa
- Patarpotli Sweda