Botanical Name :Cichoriumintybus. Linn.
According To Modern
According To Ayurveda
Charak- Not included in Varga
Sushruta- Not included in Gana
Bhavprakash- Not included in Varga
Other Names :
Unani- KaasaniDashti (Barri)
Indian local name- BanyaKaasnee
Unani- Beikhkasni (roots)
English- Chicory, Indian Endive
Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati- Kashi, Kaasni, Kssni, Hinduba
Jammu- Kashni, Lishkan
Punjabi- Gul, hand, kasni, suchal
Tamil- Kasinivirai, Kashni
Telugu- Cicori, Kasini, Vittulu
Tehran- Tukhm-i-kasni, Klshah-i-kasni (roots), TukhmeKasni (seed), Aab Berg-e-kasnisabz (leaf juice)
Arabic- Hindubar, Indyba
Chinese- Ku-T’ Sail
Greek- Kichora, Kikori
Trade name- Chickory
General Information :
Habit- an erect glandular perennial milky herb grows upto 90 cm in height. Branches- tough, rigid and spreading. Leaves- Radical and lower leaves are pinnatified, with toothed lobes. Upper leaves are alternate small and entire. Flowers- bright blue in color, in ligulate heads and clustered. Fruits- smooth angled achenes crowned with a ring of erect pappus scales.
dried root of Kasani is use as substitute of coffee.It has distinct taste but it does not contain caffeine.Root of Kasani are roasted and then fine powder is made in mixture .This powder is used as substitute for coffee.
Types Of Plant’s
Wild and Rural Cinchoriumendiva.
Specific Parts :
Leaf, Root ,Seed
Paste of Kasani leaves is applied externally to treat joint pain and insect bites.
Decoction prepared with roots of Kasani.Add vinegar in this decoction.This is used as gargling in case of tooth sensitivity.
Application of paste of boiled leaves and flower is advisible in inflammatory and painful conditions of joints.
Application of Kasani leaves paste ,vinegar and Chandan over the forehead gives relieves from headache produced due to hot climate.
Application of Leaves paste of Kasani with chandan is also advisiable in urticaria and prrickly heat.
Gargling of Kasani leaves decoction with salt gives relief from sore throat and mouth ulcers.
Bija (Seed) powder of Kasani (Cichoriumintybus Linn.) given with water is useful in case of Anidra (Insomnia). It is also useful in Anxiety disorders.
Being deepana, yakritottejana, Pittasarak and trishnanigrahana it is useful in agnimandya, yakridvikara, kamala, Pittodara and trishna. It is hridya and raktashodhana; hence useful in diseases of hridya and rakta. The root and the seed is useful in mootrakrichchhra being mootrala. It is also artavajanana; hence it is useful in anartavakashtrtava.
- It stimulates urine production.
- It mainly stimulate and protect the liver and improves the functioning of liver hence it is used in hepatitis,liver congestion,enlagrge liver and other related conditions of liver and spleen.
- It helps to increase the flow of bile
- It cleanses kidney-bladder and removes toxins from body.
- It is mrudu virchaka in nature hence gives relief in constipation.
- The leaf juice gives relief in fever, detoxifies blood.
- Root decoction of Kasani is used to treat inflammation and helps to remove the obstruction from the channels.
- Kasani is also used in Diabets as it helps to lower the blood sugar level.
- Kasani is used as vegetables in conditions like gout and rheumatism.
- Root decoction of Kasani is used to treat kidney disoders .
- To treat the jaundice -equal part of Kasani seeds,mulethi and Kala namak is used in a dose of 3gm bd with lukewarm ater.
- Tea prepared with leaves,stem and roots are used in the treatment of Jaundice.
- Fresh juice of Kasani and Makoi is prepared.Heat this juice and add 1 gram of Naushadar in this.Filter this solution and used this solution in a dose of 60 ml before the meal to treat jaundice.
- Seed decoction of Kasani is used to induce period.
- The tea prepared with Kasani roots is used to treat abdominal distenstion,flatulence and indigestion.
- To treat bodyache and Joints pain tea of Kasani flowers and leaves are used.
- Kasani root powder 1/2tsf with honey is advisiable in constipation.
- Extract of Kasani leaves with olive oil is used to treat the poisoning.
- Chewing of Kasani leaves gives relief from mouth bleeding.
- Regular intake o Kasani juice with juice of carrot and celery gives strength to the nervous system.
In Unani-there are 2 varies of Kasani.one is cultivated which is called as Bustani and anothr is wild called as Dashti
Kasani is used as plaster to treat gout.
It also removes the visceral,hepatic and vascular obstruction
The latex of Kasani is used to remove the opacity of cornea.
Purging cassia is dissolved in Kasani juice .This solution is used for gargling to trat pharyngitis.
Vegetables prepared from kasani or sheera made with kasani is used to treat kidney’s hot temperament.
Formulation (Kalp) :
Kasaniarka – 40 to 80 ml.
Patra svarasa – 10 20 ml.
Moolachoorna – 2 to 4 gm.
BeejaChoorna – 1 To 3 gm.
Research Corner :
Protective effect of the methanolic extract of chicory seeds (MCS) was investigated against genotoxicity induced by ionizing radiation in human lymphocytes. Human peripheral blood samples were collected and incubated with MCS at different concentrations (10,50,100 and 200 μG/mL) for two hours the whole blood samples were exposed in vitro to X — ray at dose 2.5 Gy. Then, the lymphocytes were culmdash;
Ingestion of 100gm of Kasani may cause bradycardia.
Some peoples shows hypersensitivity against Kasani plants.Hence in that person ,it should be avoided.
Kasani plant should not be used in pregnancy as it pramotes the menstrual cycle.