दीपनंपाचनंरुच्यंकफवातनिकृन्तनम ΙΙ रा. नि.
Botanical Name :Piper cubeba. Linn.
According To Modern
According To Ayurveda
Charak- Not include in Varga
Other Names :
Hindi name- Kababcheeni, Sheetalcheeni
English name- Tail pepper, Cubeb, Java pepper
Arabic name- Kababesini, Kababh, Kibabeh
Bengali name- Kababcheeni
Gujarathi name- Tadamiri
Kannada name- Balamenasu, Gandhamenasu
Malayalam name- Valmulaku, Cheenamulaku
Marathi name- Himsimiri
Persian name- Kababcheeni, Kibabeh, Hab-el-arus
Tamil name- Valmulaku
Telugu name- Tokamiriyalu, Chalavamiriyalu
Gandha maricha,Sugandha maricha-it has strong smell
Bahuphala-Fruits appear in bunches
Maaricha,Stoola maricha-It is slightly bigger than black pepper
General Information :
Gregarious large perennial, woody climber with ash grey, smooth, flwxuous, jointed stem and branches, rooted at the joints. Leaves- simple, alternate , entire, petiolate, glabrous, ovate, oblong with cordate or rounded base. Very strongly nerved.Flowers- Dioecious and seen spike inflorescence. Fruits- sub- globose, drupe 6 to 8 mm in diameter, apiculate and distinctly stalked, when fresh it is green, becomes black and wrinkled on drying.
Types Of Plant’s :
Guna-Laghu, Ruksha, Teekshna
Specific Parts :
Fruit and oil,
Kapha – Vataghna
दीपनंपाचनंरुच्यंकफवातनिकृन्तनम ΙΙ रा. नि.
कंकोलं लघुतीक्तोष्ण तीक्ष्नं हृद्यं रुचीप्रदम् l
कफानिलास्य दौर्गन्ध्य हृद्रोगकृमिमंद्याजित l l कै नि
चूर्ण कंदफलं द्वीपं मारिचं माधवोचितम l l
कंकोलं कटूतीक्तोष्ण वक्त्रवैरस्य नाशनम् l
मुखजाड्यहरं रुच्यं वातश्लेष्महरं परम् l l ध नि
Fruit paste of Kankola is applied externally over the area of swelling and pain.
External application of fruit powder with honey is advisiable in gum inflammation and mouth ulcers.
Paste is prepared with Kankola fruit chrna and water.This paste is applied externally over male genital organ(penis) to pramote the sexual pleasure during coitus.
Nasya of Kankola churna is advisiable in corya and nasal congestion.
Chewing of Kankola grains gives relief from bad breath and mouth sore.
Being ruchikara, deepana, pachana and anulomana in aruchi, agnimandya ,vishtambha and arsha. hriddaurbalya being hridya. In kasa-shvasa being kaphanissaraka. In anartava and kashtartava being artavajanana. It can also be used in lack of libibo being vajikara; in jeernapooyameha and in mootrakrichchhra being mootrala.
- The powder of the fruit of Kankola is mixed with honey and consumed in a dose of 4 to 5 g to treat cough and sinusitis.
- 3-5 drops of oil extracted from the plant of Kankola is mixed with a glass of warm water and consumed to treat indigestion and improve the appetite.
- Jatipushpa – Jasmine flower is the legal substitute for Kankola.
- Asthma : take some pieces of Cubeb. Put in cigarette paper. Smoke once a day.
- Bronchitis : inhale the smoke of cubeb once a day.
- Hay fever : Burn some Kankola pieces. Breathing in the smoke.
- Cough : take some kankolas. Roast and powder them. Have a pinch with honey or lukewarm water thrice a day.
- Cold infusion of Kankola is used to treat dysmenorrhoea and difficulty in micturation.Dose-30-40ml
- Kankola fruit powder with sugar candy and milk is given in erectile dysfunction.
- To treat the condition like Dysuria, Kankola fruit powder with mishri is advisiable.Dose-1/2tsf ,twice a day
- Kankola fruit powder with warm milk is advisiable in Piles. Dose-1/2tsf,twice a day
- Kankola powder with honey is advisiable in chronic cough
- To treat the nocturnal discharge micture of Kankola,Choti elaichi,pipalli,vanshlochana(5gm each) and mishri (20 gm)is prepared.This powder is taken in a dose of 1/2tsf with warm milk for a period of three months.
Formulation (Kalp) :
Dasamularista Vatavyadhi, Hridroga
Draksasava Sotha, Aruci, Pandu
Kumaryasava Kasa, Arsa, Gulma
Choorna – 1 to 3 gm.
Taila – 1 to 3 drops.
Unripe fruit contains volatile oil (10– 20%) consisting of sesquiterpene hydrocarbons; lignans, mainly cubebine (about2%), with-cubebinin and kinokinin; cubebic acid. The oxygenated cyclohexanes, piperenol A and B, together with crotepoxide and zeylenol, have been isolated from the fruit. Cubeb oil extracted from the fruit, is slightly greenish, but becomes colourless on rectification. It has the odour of Cubebs, and a warm aromatic comphoraceous taste.
Research Corner :
A study is done to evaluate the nephroprotective effect of piper cubeba against Gentamycin induced nephrotoxicity in Wister rats. This studies in two different sets of tests the powder of test drug was administered orally in a dose of 810 mg/kg. and 1220 mg/kg. in suspension form, in the pre and post treated models Nephroprotctive effect was assessed on the basis of biochemical estimation of serum of the treated kidney. Find –significant nephroprotective effect in both pretreated and post treated group.
Home remedies :
Sotha (Swelling) :
Paste prepared from kankola (Piper cubeba) is applied over the part, which reucessotha ( Swelling ).
Paste of Kankola (Piper cubeba) fruit is applied over the region in case of Kandu (Itching).
Excess intake of Kankola leads to hyperacidity and regurgitation.
If Kankola powder is taken in excess quantity then it will also cause Skin itching.
It may also cause inflammation in diagestive tract and ulcers.