In modern times the occurrence of mental ailments has increased a lot. Bipolar disorder is many times misunderstood and considered to be mere mood swings. In the case of bipolar disorder, the mood swings are extreme and they range from depression to mania. As per Ayurveda, both physical and mental problems are caused by an imbalance in the body’s three doshas. This balance is restored with the now popular panchakarma treatment. This treatment flushes out the toxins in the body and this promotes physical and mental balance.
Panchakarma means five actions and these five actions are different for different ailments. For bipolar disorder, the five therapies that relax the body and mind are Vaman, Virechan, Nasya, Basti, and Raktamokshan. These techniques reduce stress and restore the natural balance of the body by eliminating the toxins with different methods. This detoxification brings into balance the three Doshas – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
- Vaman – In this therapy, the patient is given vomit-inducing herbal medicines which remove the toxins and this causes the Kapha to become balanced.
- Virechan – Herbal purgatives are used to flush out the toxins via the stools. This balances the pitta in the body and this is especially necessary for patients of bipolar disorder. The heat that is caused by excessive Pitta in the body is responsible for ailments like bipolar disorder.
- Basti – Basti is essentially herbal enemas which are done by oil and decoctions of different kinds. This removes further toxins from the digestive tract and balances the pitta of the body.
- Nasya – In this technique the head and shoulders are massaged in a particular manner and oil or decoctions are inhaled through the nose. This removes the toxins from the entire area of the head and cures sleep disorders, headaches, neurological disorders. This is an excellent way to balance the Vata in the body and that in turn heals the many problems faced by bipolar disorder patients.
- Raktamokshan – This is a method that cleanses the body by removing the vitiated blood with the help of different tools like Shastra, Anushastra, Jalauka, and many others. The tools are chosen according to the body type of the person and they are different for everyone.
Apart from the Panchakarma treatment, the patients are given herbs and minerals which help to completely manage bipolar disorder. The patients do not have to rely solely on allopathic medicines which have a lot of side effects. The panchakarma and natural medicines of Ayurveda help a bipolar patient to lead a normal life which is usually not possible for them otherwise.