Deep vein thrombosis And Ayurveda–
- Deep vein thrombosis is commonly termed as DVT.
- Deep vein thrombosis is the formation of blood clot in the deep vein.
- It can manifest as superficial leg pain causing superficial thrombo phlebitis.
- Thrombo phlebitis is a disorder in which formation of blood clots (thrombus) and inflammation of the vein occurs.
- The squeezing action of calf muscle to dissolve the thrombus in deep vein. Especially In convalasing persons.
- A thrombus in the deep vein is dangerous.
- Thrombo phlebitis is painful but not harmful.
- Thrombus can cause pulmonary embolism.
- It is seen In Buergers disease, disorders of coagulation, air travel after child birth, old age, smoking etc., prolonging bed rest can also produce this.
- It is seen after hip replacement surgery.
- It is also seen in healthy people who sit for long time.
Causes of Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Being immobile after surgery.
- In bedridden patients due to paralysis, coma, etc.
- If you are suffering from clotting disorder.
- Sitting for a prolonged duration.
- Certain medical conditions like cancer, IBS, obesity, heart failure.
- Overuse of birth control pills.
Symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Mostly no symptoms.
- Chest pain may be caused by pulmonary embolism.
- Calf muscles swell and painful.
- The deep vein thrombosis blocks the blood flow in the large vein.
- There may be oedema of foot or leg which will be prominent at the end of the day.
- Skin becomes reddish brown.
- Swelling of the affected limb.
- Cramping muscular pain.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Ultrasound venous Doppler of both lower limb
- Pulmonary embolism can be scanned by radio active marker
- Patient should flex and extend the ankle about 10 times every 30 minutes.
- Wearing elastic stockings help in blood flow.
- Foot must be raised 6 inches to prevent the thrombus from enlarging during sleep.
- Try to move your legs often.
- Do regular exercise.
- Stop smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Lose excess weight by exercise and diet if you are obese.
- Drugs should be continued for 6 months.
- Compression bandages are useful.
- Take frequent breaks to stretch your legs and walk around a bit in office hours (specially sedentary job style).
- Eat more garlic, ginger and turmeric in your diet. Garlic is a natural blood thinner whereas ginger and turmeric have anti-inflammatory property.
- If ulcers develop manage them accordingly
- Management of Deep Vein Thrombosis
Acute Deep Vein Thrombosis-
If you have acute deep vein thrombosis, you may require hospitalisation.
In Chronic Deep Vein Thrombosis-
Raktamokshan is best treatment.It is done with the help of leech or syringe.
- Triphala kashayam
- Aragvadadi kasayam
- Guggulu tiktaka kasayam
- Sahacaradi kasayam
- Saddaranam curnam
- Arjun kshirapak
- Haritaki churna
- Gokshur churna
- Punarnava bharad
- Triphala guggul
- Navak Guggul
- Guggulu pancaphalam
- Saddaranam gulika
- Gomutra haritaki curnam-
- Dasamula haritaki lehyam-
- Mahamandisthadi Kwath