Botanical Name :Euphorbia nerifolia. Linn
According To Modern
Family – Euphorbiaceae
According To Ayurveda
Hindi name-Sehund, Dandathukar
English name- Common milk hedge
Arabic name- Jakum
Kannada name- Male kalli
Marathi name- Thor
Malayalam name- Illa kalli
Punjabi name- Thor
Telugu name- Akujemuddu
Tamil name- Ilaikalli
General Information :
Habit – Large shrub with many branches grows upto 15 ft. in height. Branch & Branches – Have pairs of stipular spines on tubercles or swellings. These tubercles are more or less consfluent in 5 vertical or slightly spiral lines. The branch is more or less obtusely 5-gonous in section. Leaves – Very small and obovate shaped. Involucres are yellowish, 3 to 7 in a cyme, with very short peduncle about 4 mm long. Fruits – Capsule, Sharply 2 – Lobed and compressed.
Types of Plant :
Specific Parts :
Root, Stem, Leaf, Ksheera.
Internal application :
Being teekshna-virechana it is used as dosha-shodhana in udara, gulma and yakritpleehavriddhi. As shodhana in pandu, shotha, kushtha, meha and unmade.
Snuhi is raktashodhaka and shothaharahence it is used in upadansha, amavata. Vatarakta and shotha.
It act asKaphanissaraka in kasa, shvasa and pratishyaya.
Snuhiswaras should be used with Tankana and madhu in kushtha and also in jangamavishabadha.
- For Joint pain-oil prepared with snuhi leaves and sesame is applied externally over affected area.
- Snuhi milk with haridra powder is applied over external pile mass to reduce it.
- ‘Kshara sutra’, a medicated thread useful to treat piles and fistula is prepared with milk latex of snuhi.
- Milk latex of snuhi is used for cleansing the abdomen in cases of poisoning and in severe constipation as it has purgative action
- Skin diseases, eczema, itching-
- Milk latex (only 4 drops) is added to 1-2 spoon mustard oil. This oil is applied topically on affected skin area in skin diseases.
- The latex is applied directly on warts.
- Psoriasis, eczema, skin diseases-
- For psoriasis, extract latex of plant. Take a thick bottom vessel and cook latex in one-fourth mustard oil (e.g. cook one litre latex in 250 ml oil) till all water is evaporated and only oil is left. This medicated oil is filtered and is applied externally on affected skin areas.
Vajrakshar, Snuhyaditaila, Snuhyadivarti, etc.
MoolaChoorna – 0.25 to 0.5 gm.
Kanda-svarasa – 5 to 10 ml.
The triterpenoids, euphol, 24-methylene cycloartenol, euphorbolhexacosonate, glut-5 (10)-en-5-one, glut-1- en-3 beta-yet-acetate, taraxerol, friedelan-3 alpha-ol and–3 beta-ol have been reported from the plant.
Research Corner :
Anti-carcinogenic potential of hydro-ethanolic extract of Euphorbia nerifolia (EN) leaves and an isolated flavonoid (ENF) was investigated against N-Nitrosodiethylamine (DENA)- induced renal carcinogenesis in mice. Levels of renal markers (Urea and creatinine), xenobiotic metabolic enzymes (Cyt P450 and Cyt b5), lipid peroxidation (LPO), antioxidants (SOD, CAT, GST and GSH).
Latex of snuhi (Euphorbia nerifolia) mixed with Haridra (Curcuma longa), Kosataki (Luffa acutangula),Saindhavalavana (Rock salt) and Gomutra (Cow’s urine) is applied on arsas.
Virecanartha (To induce purgation)
Trivrit (Operculinaturpethum) impregnated with latex of Snuhi (Euphorbia nerifolia) taken with honey and ghee will act as very good purgative.