A hollow space in the body called as sinuse. There are many types of sinus.
Paranasal sinus is the one in which sinusitis develop. The spaces behind the face that lead to the nasal cavity called as paranasal sinus.It has internal mucous lining.This produce a secretion known as mucous which keeps passage moist and avoid the entry of foreign particles in to nasal cavity.
Sinusitis occurs when mucus builds up and the sinuses become inflamed.
- Acute sinusitis: This is the most common type of sinusitis.Duration period-4weeks
- Subacute sinusitis: Symptoms occure for long period of time.Duration- 4 week to 12 weeks.
- Chronic sinusitis: Symptoms persist, or continually return, after 12 weeks. It may need more invasive treatment, and possibly surgery.
- thick, green or yellow nasal discharge
2 facial pain and pressure
4 Cough and cold
5.Reduce smell sensation
8 fuel smelled breath
- Viral infection
- Bacterial infection
- Fungal infection:
Acute and subacute sinusitis
Use of nasal spray
Nasal irrigation: nasal irrigation with warm saline water
Warm compress: Application of warm compress on face.It relieves swelling and discomfort.
Use of Painkillers
Steam inhalation: Steam inhalation with Eucalyptus oil
Use of Antibiotics
A fungal infection can be treated with antifungal drugs.
Use of Corticosteroid sprays
Structural deformitis like deviated septum,nasal poly solve with the help of surgery. Surgery may also be advised if there are polyps, or if the sinusitis has resisted all other treatment
In Ayurveda it is known as Pinas .
Excessive consumption of dry, oily, spicy, or too hot or too cold foods
Exposure to cold ,dusty and dry weather
Excess consumption of curd and fermented product
Night awakening or Day sleeping
Subpression of natural urges,tear and vomitting
Above mention causes, vitiate all three doshas. The Impaired Kapha accumulates in the sinuses and block the Vata dosha i.e nasal passage.The impaired Pitta causes swelling and irritation of the tissues of the sinuses.
- Heaviness in the head
- Feeling of heaviness
- Blocked or runny nose
- Treatment basically involved Panchakarma, oral medicines, dietary and life style modifications.
- Panchkarma Therapies like Nasyam, Lepanam, Thalam, Vamanam, Shirodhara is advisiable according to dosha prakruti.
- Nasyam-It is a process in which medicated oil or powder or fresh juice is administered through the nostrils to clear the Kapha accumulated.
- Steam inhalation of clove oil (or a large spoonful of cloves), 10-12 crushed mint leaves, and a few drops of eucalyptus oil with water is very effective.
- Regular intake of ginger juice(1tsf) with honey.
- Mix 1 tsp of crushed garlic and 1 tsp of turmeric with 2 tbsp of honey. Take 1 tsp daily.