“Difficulty in breathing” called as Shwas Roga.
The symptoms of Tamak Shwas is similar to bronchial asthama.
There are number of reasons for shwas roga.
|The common causes are-|
- Kulaj-: family history.
- . Vata propak(vitiating) aahar (diet) vihar(activities)Excessive intake of Ruksha(dry),guru(heavy) diet,
- Excessive consumption of heavy oily food
- , exposure to dust,smoke and cold air ,living in cold areas,. Kapha prakopak(vitiating) Aahar(diet) Vihar(activities)
abhishandi(kapha producing)ahar like curd,jaggary,urad
- Over consumption of cold water and frozen foods.Internal reasons
Suppression of urges,
- ,respiratory tract disease,lung disoderExternal reasons
Injury to throat,smoking
It is divided in to 5 types.
Maha, Urdhva, Chinna, Tamaka & Kshudra.
Apathyakar ahar vihar causes vitiation of prana vayu.This vitiated Pranvayu combines with deranged kapha dosha in the lungs. Which causes the obstruction of pranavaha srotasa(respiratory tract).This results in difficulty in breathing and respiratory distress.This condition is called Swasa roga.
Cough (with or without expectoration), flatulence, constipation, discomfort in chest, are some common prodromal symtoms.
- Dysnoea (aggravated in lying position and relived in sitting position), momentary comfort after expectoration
- Cough with cracking sound /with or without expectoration; running nose,
- Loss of taste, appetite
- Perspiration on forehead, dry mouth, desire for hot comforts, darkness in front of eyes.
- Fever, generalised fatigue, delusion
The condition gets worsened in rainy season, windy and cloudy atmosphere. On the contrary the patients feel fresh on bright sunny day.
Prolonged upward breathings (expiration) but difficult respiration§
Obstructed movement of vata§
An upward gaze§
Rolling eye balls§
Severe pain as though his vital organs are being cut§
Patient breathes with interruptions§
Cutting pain in the vital organs§
Obstruction in the urinary bladder§
Eyes are unsteady ( full of tears)§
Delusion (or coma)§
One eye is angry – (red in colour)§
Dryness of mouth§
Feeling of helplessness (inability to do anything)§
Loss of chhaya (complexion)§
Loss of conciousness
Pain in head, neck, chest§ & flanks, cough accompanied with cracking sound
Loss of taste, appetite§
Thirst, Forceful bouts of respiration§
Feeling of going into darkness (i.e.losing conciouseness of the surrounding) momentary comfort after expectoration§
Inability to breathe on lying§
Comfortable on sitting§
Eyes wide open§
Perspiration on forehead§
Desire for hot comforts§
§ Maruta (Vata) on being aggravated by exertion & overeating, produces Kshudra Shwasa which subsides by itself (without any medication) i.e. heavy breathing on exertion, passes of soon by rest & is thus not very troublesome.
TREATMENT OF SWASA ROGA
Vata kaphanashak diet is advisiable
Commonly used drugs
o Shatayadi Choorna
o Haridradi Choorna
o Shrungyadi Choorna
o Talisadi choorna
o Pippaladya Lauha
o Mahaswasari lauha
o Lauha bhasam
• Rasa Kalpa
o Shwas Kuthar
o Shwas Kaasa Chintamani Rasa
o Swarnavasant Malati
o Shankh bhasam
o Tamar bhasam
o Raupya bhasam
o Shring bhasam
o Swaran bhasam
o Moti bhasam
• Aasav and Arisht
o Tejovatyadya Ghrita
- Snehapan-: Internal intake of medicated ghee or oil .This ghee or oil should be given in increasing oder for 7 days.
- Ghee like vasa ghrita, kantkari ghrita, bharngyadi ghrita, yashtimadhu ghrita etc are used for shodhan purpose.
- Swedan-: Chest massage should be done gentally with lukewarm til tail.Saindhav lavan should be applied over chest fomentation given by vapours of dashmoola decoction. It relives bronchospasm.
- Vaman-: vaman is best for kaphagat rogas.
- It reduces recurrent bronchial attak
- Virechan-: it is best remedy for Pitta kaphagat rogas.
- Basti-:Enema by medicated oil. mahanarayan taila, yashtimadhu taila etc are administered through anal route. This helps in reducing the severity of attacks.
Avoid recurrency of disease.
Rasayana like-Vardhaman pippali,Chaushast Pippali should use for this purpose.