GEt Potent medication for sandhivata at parijatak
The number of patients come to clinic with complaints of joints pain, of which some are regarding knee pain, while some are talking about wrist pain. There are two types of arthritis.
- Dhatukshayjanya vata commonly called as sandhivata or osteoarthritis.
- Margavarodhjanya vata which was commonly known as Amavat or rheumatic arthritis.
What is Sandhivata?
Sandhivata- Sandhi means joint & vata means vata dosha. Aggravation of vata dosha in sandhi means joints responsible for a disease known as sandhivata. Mainly vata dosha is responsible for sandhiwata. Joint is made up of multiple things- like bones, cartilage, synovial fluid, tendons & muscles. Cartilage is a cushion like structure between two joints & synovial fluid is a lubricating fluid between the joint. The vata is dry in nature & destructive in nature. It goes into sandhisthan & causes the destruction of cartilage & surrounding structures. It also absorbs the synovial fluid between two joints causing the rubbing of two bones. As the two bones rub on each other it causes pain & destruction of cartilage leads to restriction of movements.
What are the Causes?
- Age factor
- Eating excessive use of joints i.e., lifting or moving heavy load.
- Food having low nutritional value
- Injury to joints
- Excessive exposure to cold & clammy weather.
What are the Symptoms?
Any of the following symptoms can be felt in Sandhivata:
- Pain in joints
- Restriction of movements
- Tingling in hands & legs
- Crackling sound between two joints.
Our body is just like a machine. A machine needs overhauling from time to time for its proper function. Similarly, our body also needs oil for proper functioning of joints. Degenerative occurs in body with the age. If proper supplementation is not provided by our food, then joints and related parts become under-nourished; following this the process of degeneration goes faster leading to weakening of bones and joints. This condition results in osteoporosis. Sometime when excessive weight is exerted on joints it leads to degeneration of bone surface forming a structure called osteophyte which worsens the pain. The osteophytes formation at vertebral bones exerts the pressure on spinal nerve & causing back pain or lumbar pain. Hence it is must to treat the condition before worse.
Treatment for the pacification of vata dosha snehan is required, hence internal and external application of oil is a must. Application of dhanvantaram tail, mahanaragana tail reduces pain and swelling. Regular application of oil reduces stiffness of joints.
What is the Importance of Swedan ?
Swedan or hot fomentation with medicated steam facilitates the movements of joints. It also reduces the pain and stiffness. After swedan, the cells get activated & the toxins are flushed away from body. The cellular metabolism improves thus rejuvenating the joints.
What are the Various Types of Sweda?
There are many types of Sweda :
- Nadi Sweda – When pain is limited to a part of body or single joint then this therapy is used. It is carried out by boiling of drugs like rasna, eranda, dhashmula etc.
- Pinda sweda – The bolus of churna or patra is formed and heated over pan or dipped in boiled decoction, and apply over affected part by gentle rubbing. The churna or patra used in this treatment has analgesic and antinflammtory properties.
- Dhara – The medicated decoction or oil poured over the affected parts in stream along with gentle strokes of massage. This is very effective in vata, pitta and rakta dushti. It provide strength to muscles & tendons.
- Janu Basti – The medicated oil poured in pool like structure for a fixed duration of time over knee joint. It causes the oleation of knee joint. It reduces pain and swelling of knee joint.
- Pichu – In this therapy, a sterile gauze is dipped into the medicated oil and kept for some period of time over affected area. This provides nourishment to the bones, muscles, tissues and joint. It will prevent further degeneration of tissues and helps in healing of cartilage.
- Lepanam – This is the application of medicated paste over the affected joints. The paste is allowed to stay on the applied part for some period of time. Hot or warm application of lepam is done. The lepanam has anti-inflammatory and anti-analgesic properties.
- Jalukavacharan – This is the application of leech over the affected areas. Leeches suck the impure blood and secrete their enzymes into the body through saliva which reduces pain and inflammation.
- Basti – Basti is the best treatment for vata dosha. Medicated oil and medicated decoction strengthen the joints and soft tissues; the therapy rejuvenates the tissues and eliminates the toxins from body. Hence, the healing mechanism occurs faster than in other parts of the body.
- Virechana – The elimination of doshas through purgation is done in virechana treatment. It pacifes the pitta, kapha and vata doshas.
- Abhyantar chikitsa– This chikitsa or way of treatment is similar to abhyantar snehapan; it means administration of medicated ghee or oil on the affected regions which causes internal oleation of body. The types of ghee that are used are:
- Mahatikta Ghrut
- Dashmula Ghrut
- Amrutadi Ghrut
Ghee or oil pacifies the ruksha (dry) and khara (rough) guna of vata.
What is Shaman Chikitsa?
Shaman Chikitsa is one of the important therapies of purifying the body, as mentioned in Ayurveda. Also known as palliation or suppression therapy, Shaman helps restore balance and harmony in the body by using the medicines prepared from kaishor guggul, yograj guggul, mahayograj guggul, dashmula kwath, rasna saptak kwath, ammrutadi guggul, yogendraras, bruhat vatchintamani, etc. are used for internal use.
Parijatak and Sandhivata
While Sandhivata has been much explained in this section, it would not be an exaggeration of the fact that the experts at Parijatak Ayurveda are striving hard to get the best pain relieving formulation for the patients. Thanks to Ayurveda, these pain-relieving medicines are available with no side-effects, and therapies are not that painful. And here, at Parijatak, we have developed herbal medicines from the natural resources. Get more benefits of Ayurveda from us. Contact us with your queries.