Botanical Name :Caesalpiniasappan. Linn.
पतंग मधुरं शीतं पित्त श्लेष्म व्रणास्त्रनुत् / हरीचन्दनवद् वेद्द विशेषाद् दाहनाशनम् // भा प्र
कुचंदनं तु तिक्त स्यात् सुगन्धी व्रण रोपणम् / ध .नि वातपित्तज्वरघ्नच विस्फोटोन्माद भूत हृत् ‘// रा .नि
- According To Modern
- Kingdom –Plantae
- Order –Rosales
- Family – Caesalpinaceae
- According To Ayurveda
- Charak- Not included in Varga
- Sushruta- Not included in Gana
- Bhavprakash- KarpuradiVarga
Other Names :
Ayurvedic: Patangah, Patranga, Pattanga, Bharyavriksha, Kashtha, Kuchandana, Lohitaranga, Patanga, Patranga, Pattaranga, Pattaranjaka, Pattranya, Pattura, Raktaka, Raktasar, Ranjana, Rogakashtha, Suranga, Surangada
- Scientific: Caesalpiniasappan
- Assamese: Baggam, Bakam
- Bengali: Bokom
- English: Sappan Wood
- Gujrati: Patang
- Hindi: Pagang, Bakam
- Kannada: Chappanga, Patanga, Patranga, Sappanga
- Malayalam: Chappangam, Pathimukham
- Tamil: Anaikuntrumani, Padangam, Patungam, Sappangu, Varattangi
- Telugu: Bukkapuchettu
- Trade: Patang, Brazil wood
- Unani: Pattang
General Information :
Habit – a tree grows upto 30 ft. in height. Stem – Prickly, 15 to 25 cm in diameter. Branches – Armed with small prickles. Leaves – Compound, 20 to 40 cm long, pinnae are 8 to 12 pairs, 10 to 15 cm long, small prickles are seen at the base. Leaflets are 10 to 18 pairs, 1 to 2 cm long and 1 cm wide, subsessile, glabrous above and puberulous beneath. Inflorescence – Panicle, terminal and also seen in the axils of upper leaves 30 to 40 cm long. Flowers – yellow in colour. Fruits – Pods 7.5 to 10 cm long, 4 to 5 cm wide, woody, obliquely oblong, subcompressed. In dehiscent with a hard recurved short beak at the upper angle will have 3 to 4 seeds.
- Rasa- Kasaya, Madhura, Tikta
- Vipak- Katu
- Virya- Sheeta
Specific Parts :
- Kapha- Pittashamak.
पतंग मधुरं शीतं पित्त श्लेष्म व्रणास्त्रनुत् /
हरीचन्दनवद् वेद्द विशेषाद् दाहनाशनम् // भा प्र
कुचंदनं तु तिक्त स्यात् सुगन्धी व्रण रोपणम् / ध .नि
वातपित्तज्वरघ्नच विस्फोटोन्माद भूत हृत् ‘// रा .नि
It is useful in atisara as stambhana. In raktapitta as shonitasthapana. It is also useful in unmade, apasmara as akshepahara; as kusthaghna and dahashamak. Its decoction should be given internally and used as uttarabasti as thereby it acts as stambhana in rakta and shvetapradara.
- – Dried heartwood used against inflammation.
- – Decoction is used as diuretic.
- – Roots, stems and seeds used as sedative and vulnerary.
It is also known as ” Kuchandan ” in dhanwantari and rajnighntu churna of Patranga used for vranaropan and raktasthambh
In case of rohini application of Patanga(Caesalpiniasappan) with sugar and honey is much beneficial.
Improve renal functions
- A Bark decoction is given.
- Itches, urticaria and rashes
- Heart wood paste with coconut milk is applied externally.
- Thirst and urinary disorders due to diabetes
- Heart wood decoction is taken before sleep.
- Dosage :
- Quatha- 40 to 80 ml.
- Powder -2 to 4 gm.
Research Corner :
Bioassay-guided fractionation of a methanol extract of the seeds of Caesalpiniasappan led to the isolation of 12 new cassane type diterpenes, caesalsappanins A-L (1-12). Their structures were elucidated on the basis of NMR and HRESIMS analysis, and the absolute configuration of compound I was determined by single-crystal X-Ray crystallography.