Paralysis is an outcome of a stroke attack. Paralysis is a loss of muscle function of one or more, accomplished with the loss of sensation of the affected area. Paralysis can affect the whole body or one part of the body. the whole body or one part of the body.
As the muscle impaired in this disease hence patient has to depend on another his or her day to day activities. When paralysis affects the whole body it is called as complete paralysis affects the whole body it is called as complete paralysis and when some specific part or one part involved then it is called as partial paralysis. In Ayurveda, it is called as paksha ghat.
There are 4 types of paralysis.
- Monoplegia- It refers to the paralysis of a limb. Generally, one limb is involved.
- Hemiplegia- It affects on arm and leg of the same side of the body.
- Paraplegia- Paralysis of the part below the waist it affects the lower limb and hips.
- Quadriplegia- Paralysis of the body below the neck. This type of paralysis affects the all four limbs and trunk.
- Hypertension is the most common cause of the paralysis.
- Injury to the brain or spinal cord.
- Viral infection in nerve cells.
- Brain tumor or stroke
- Environmental factors such as toxins poisons.
- Neurological diseases such as Bell’s palsy
- Impair Movements of hands and legs.
- Muscular stiffness in affected portion.
- Difficulty in holding the things.
- Difficulty in speech
- Difficulty in food Swallowing
- Loss of sensation in affected part
- Anxiety, depression, anger etc.
- Muscle Spasm
- Loss of control of urges
- Feeling of numbness
Ayurvedic Concept Of :
Paksna means half body part and ghat means loss. Means loss of function of half body part is seen in pakshaghat.
It is mainly a vata vyadhi, pitta and kapha also involved with vata in this diseases. According to charak sira, snayu vishoshana (arteries and ligament degeneration) pakshaghatta. While sushruta noticed leads to involvement of dhamane (veins) in pakshaghata.
- Abhyangam– Full body massage with mahanarayan tail or bala tail is helpful. Whole body massage relaxes the muscles and whole body muscles and nerves. It also provide the strength to muscles. Improve the blood circulation.
- Swedan– Steaming of whole body. It removes toxines from body. It provide flexibility to muscles and improve the tone of muscles.
- Padabhyanga – Foot massage with medicated oil. It relaxes muscles and ligaments in lower limbs.
- Pizhichil – powering of medicated oil all over the blody in rhythmic way. It increases blood circulation. Nourishes muscles and nerve tissues. This therapy is very effective in hemiplegia, paraplegia and general debility.
- Basti– Sneha basti and kashay basti pacify the vata dosha.
- Virechana – It is the very effective treatment of paralysis. All toxins from body removed by purgation.
- Nasya– Administration of oil into the nose. It provides strength to nervous system. Also maintain the endocrine system.
- Oil like – Mahana rayana tail, bala tail are neurotonic in nature while oil like masha tail, mahamashaa tail provide strength to muscles.
- Ekangaveerasa, Rasarajarasa, vatagajankush rasa, Yogendra rasa. Are nervine toxins pacify the vatadosha . Also provide strength to body muscles.
- Yograj Guggul, mahayograj guggul, kaishor guggul, sinhnad guggul.
- Gandharvahasty kwath, extrand tail, Abhyadi modak, trivritta avaleha used for purgation therapy.