The condition in which inflammation of pancreas occure is called as pancreatitis. In women prevalence is high.Main function of pancreas is to secrete the hormones like insulin and glucagon which helps in the regulation of sugar.
It also secreats the harmone which help in digestion.Thediagestive enzymes are released via the pancreatic duct in to small intestine where they are activated to help break down fats and proteins. It also acts as acid neutralizer.It is of two types-
Acute pancreatitis.A sudden inflammation of pancreas is called as acute pancreatitis.It lasts for a short time. It may cause mild discomfort to a severe, life-threatening illness. In severe cases, acute pancreatitis can result in bleeding into the gland, serious tissue damage, infection, and cyst formation. It also harm other vital organs such as the heart, lungs, and kidneys.
Chronic pancreatitis.It is long-lasting inflammation of the pancreas. Acute pancreatitis, Heavy alcohol drinking can cause chronic pancreatitis.
Symptoms-of acute pancreatitis
- Upper abdominal pain that radiates into the back
- Pain will be aggrevated by eating (fatty food)
- Swollen and tender abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fever and chills
- Increased heart rate
- Rapid breathing
- Peritonitis may developed
- Ascitis may developed
- Weakness and lethargy
- Symptoms of chronic Pancreatitis-
- Abdominal Pain
- Unintentional weight loss
- Foul smelling,oily stool
- Inflammation caused by gallstones, alcohol, certain drugs and mumps etc
- Gall stone and alcohol are very common (80% of cases).
- Blockage of pancreatic duct by a gallstone which gets stuck into the sphincter of oddi is very common.
- Sometimes blockage may be temporary.
- White blood cells level increases in the later phase.
- Check sugar RBS, serum amylase and lipase will be high.
- Serum amylase will be high ( Normal value of serum amylase is 53 – 123 units/ litre).
- Ultrasound scan can show gallstones.
- CT abdomen is useful.
- Mustakaranjadikasayam –
- Kaidaryadivati –
- Takram without butter with lot of curry leaves.