This is disease of ear bone degeneration. In this there is abnormal growth of bone in middle ear which leads to hearing loss.
It occurs during the teen or early adult years. In otosclerosis, sound-conducting bones of the ear changes from hard, mineralized bone to spongy, immature bone tissue.Which causes abnormal growth of bone tissue around the middle ear. This abnormal growth causes the movement restriction of stapes. which leads to reduction in amount of sound to the cochlea. This growth cause fixation or fusion of stapes with the bone of the cochlea , which often causes severe hearing. This hearing loss is known as the conductive hearing loss.
In otosclerosis the nerve associated with hearing may also be affected, causing sensorineural hearing loss. It is caused by toxic enzymes released into the ochlea. When the hearing loss is caused by both conductive and sensorineural , it is called mixed hearing loss.
The Exact cause still unknown but it can be developed in Family History of Otosclerosis Harmonal changes occurs in female during puberty phase during pregnancy.
- Hearing loss in one or both ear
- Tinnitus- abnormal sound in ears
- Vertigo (sometime)
Ayurvedic treatment –
- To treat basic pathology – Panch-Tikta-Ghrut-Guggulu, Laxadi-Guggulu, Punarnavadi-Guggulu and Saarivadi-Vati are used
- To prevent the hearing loss –Rasaraj rasa, Kaishor-Guggulu, Tapyadi-Loh, Ekang-Veer-Ras and Bruhat-Vat-Chintamani are used .
- To prevent the damage of inner ear-Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia), Saariva (Hemidesmus indicus), Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa), Kutki (Picrorrhiza kurroa), Asthishrunkhala (Cissus quadrangularis), Laxa (Purified wax), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) and Musta (Cyperus rotundus) can be used.
- For the reverse of otosclerosis- Shankh-Bhasma, Godanti-Bhasma, Praval-Bhasma, Praval-Panchamrut and Panchamrut-Parpati are used in combination with medicines like Tamra-Bhasma, Abhrak-Bhasma and Trivang-Bhasma.