Botanical Name :GymnemaSylvestre. R. Br.
§ According To Modern
o Kingdom –Plantae
o Order –Gentianales
o Family –Asclepiadaceae
§ According To Ayurveda
- Charak- Not included in Varga
- Susruta- Not included in Gana
- Bhavprakash- Guducyadivarga
- Dhanvantari Nighantu-Guduchyadi varga
- Kaiyyadeva Nighantu-Oushadhi varga
- Raja Nighantu-Prabadradi varga
§ Other Names :
English name – Gymnema, Cowplant, Australian Cowplant
Hindi name- Gudmar, Gurmar
Bengali name- Medasinghi
Gujarathi name- Kavali, Gudamar
Kannada name- Madhunashini
Konkani name- kawli
Marathi name- Kavali, Bedakichaphala
Malayalam name- Madhunashini, Chakkarakolli
Oriya name- Mrygosingo
Tamil name- Shirukurinjan
Telugu name- Podapatri, Vodaparthi
Urdu name- Sasinga
Madhunashini-when leaf is chewed,it destroys the sweet taste
Vishani-destroys the poison
Meshashrungi,basta shrunga,shrungika,ajashringi-structure of leaf is same as horn of goat
tiktadugdha-juice coming from the plaant is bitter in taste
- General Information :
Habit- large woody much- branched climber running over the tops of high trees. Stem- Young stems are pubescent. Leaves- Opposite, simple,3 to 5 cm long and 1 to 3 cm wide, ovate, elliptic, acute or shortly acuminate, more or less pubescent on both the sides. Petiole is 1 cm long. Flowers- Seen in sessile cymes. Yellow, tube is companulate. Fruits- Follicules 6 to 7.5 cm long, 1 cm wide, lanceolate, attenuated into a beak. Seeds are 1 cm long, narrowly ovoid-oblong, flat with a thin broad marginal wing and brown in colour.
- Properties (Gunadharma)
- Rasa-Tikta, Kasaya
- Vipak- Katu
- Guna-Laghu, Ruksha
- Specific Parts
मेषशृंगिदलं तिक्तं कुष्ठमेहकफप्रनुत ।
दीपनं स्रसनं कासक्रिमिव्रणविषापहम ।। भा प्र
चक्षुष्या श्वासहृद्रोगविषकासार्तीकुष्ठजित् l
अजशृंगी फलं तिक्तं कटूष्नं कफवातजित् l
जठरानलकृत हृदयं रुचिरं लवणाम्लकम् l रा नि
मेषशृंगी रक्त पितहरा बल्या रसायनम् l l
पामाकुष्ठापहा शीता भक्षणात केश रजनी l शो नि
- External application-
- root paste of meshshrungi is applied in snake bites and superficial skin wounds.
- Being its deepana, sransana and yakritottejanagunas it is used in agnimandya,vibandh ,kamala and arsh.It is hridayottejak and Kaphaghna in nature hence it is used in Hridaydaurbalya. Beejachoorna should be given internally in pratishyaya, kasa and shvasa. Smoking of powder of the root-bark eliminates shirogaurava. In asthmari and mootrakrichchhra being mootrala; in anartava being garbhashayottejaka; being katupaushtika in samanyadaurbalya. Root decoction should be given in sarpavishabadha.
In splenomegaly and hepatomegaly paste of root mixed with castor oil is applied.Paste of root also applied over swelling and affected area of abdomen.
- In dysmenorrhea, fever, renal calculi and difficulty in micturition decoction of meshshrungi used in quantity of 40-50ml.
- Meshashringi seed powder with honey is used to treat dyspnea and cough.
- Meshshringi root swaras (fresh juice) is used to treat snake poisoning.Dose-25-30ml BD
- The powder of the dried leaf (4 to 6 g) or fresh juice (25-30 ml) of leaf is given to reduce the sugar level in the blood.
- regular chewing of gudmar controls the cravings of a person.
- Gudmar churna is used in worm infestation.
- leaf extract of gudmar is used to cure eye problems and augment the eyesight
- Leaves decoction of gudmar is used as diuretic property.
Madhumeha (Diabetes mellitus)
Kesa Choorna (Powder) of dried leaves of Mesasringi (Gymnemasylvestrae) is given in Madhumeha (Diabetes mellitus) which always checks the blood sugar level.
Sandhi sotha (Inflammation of Joints)
Leaf paste of Mesasringi (Gymnemasylvestrae) is applied over the joints. It is avery good remedy in case of Sandhi soth (Inflamation of joints)
Hyperlipidemia and Obesity-
it is used in Hyperlipidemia and obesity.these both are characterised by increased in fat levels in body which futher leads to insulin resistance in body which cause ultimately weight gain.
meshshringi improves the functioning of pancreas which ultimately helps in insulin production.
- Formulation (Kalp)
MahaVisagarbhaTaila Vatavikara, Gridhrasi
Patra Choorna (Leaf Powder) – 3 to 6 gm.
MulaKwatha (Root decoction) – 50 to 100 ml.
- Research Corner
The anti obesity effect of water soluble fraction of Gymnemasylvestre extract (120 mg/kg, p.o. for 21 days) in HFD feb rats was evaluated by the measurement of body weight gain, food intake, hemodynamic changes (Systolic, diastolic, mean blood pressure and heart rate), serum lipid profiles (trigleptin, insulin, glucose, apoliporoteins, HDL-cholesterol), leptin, insulin, glucose, apolipoproteins A1 and B, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), glutathione peroxidase (GPx), glutathione reductase (GR), glutathione-S transferase (Gst), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) levels in liver tissues.