Botanical Name :GymnemaSylvestre. R. Br.
§ According To Modern
o Kingdom –Plantae
o Order –Gentianales
o Family –Asclepiadaceae
§ According To Ayurveda
- Charak- Not included in Varga
- Susruta- Not included in Gana
- Bhavprakash- Guducyadivarga
§ Other Names :
English name – Gymnema, Cowplant, Australian Cowplant
Hindi name- Gudmar, Gurmar
Bengali name- Medasinghi
Gujarathi name- Kavali, Gudamar
Kannada name- Madhunashini
Konkani name- kawli
Marathi name- Kavali, Bedakichaphala
Malayalam name- Madhunashini, Chakkarakolli
Oriya name- Mrygosingo
Tamil name- Shirukurinjan
Telugu name- Podapatri, Vodaparthi
Urdu name- Sasinga
- General Information :
Habit- large woody much- branched climber running over the tops of high trees. Stem- Young stems are pubescent. Leaves- Opposite, simple,3 to 5 cm long and 1 to 3 cm wide, ovate, elliptic, acute or shortly acuminate, more or less pubescent on both the sides. Petiole is 1 cm long. Flowers- Seen in sessile cymes. Yellow, tube is companulate. Fruits- Follicules 6 to 7.5 cm long, 1 cm wide, lanceolate, attenuated into a beak. Seeds are 1 cm long, narrowly ovoid-oblong, flat with a thin broad marginal wing and brown in colour.
- Properties (Gunadharma)
- Rasa-Tikta, Kasaya
- Vipak- Katu
- Guna-Laghu, Ruksha
- Specific Parts
मेषशृंगिदलं तिक्तं कुष्ठमेहकफप्रनुत ।
दीपनं स्रसनं कासक्रिमिव्रणविषापहम ।।
- Being its deepana, sransana and yakritottejanagunas it is used in agnimandya,vibandh ,kamala and arsh.It is hridayottejak and Kaphaghna in nature hence it is used in Hridaydaurbalya. Beejachoorna should be given internally in pratishyaya, kasa and shvasa. Smoking of powder of the root-bark eliminates shirogaurava. In asthmari and mootrakrichchhra being mootrala; in anartava being garbhashayottejaka; being katupaushtika in samanyadaurbalya. Root decoction should be given in sarpavishabadha.
In splenomegaly and hepatomegaly paste of root mixed with castor oil is applied.Paste of root also applied over swelling and affected area of abdomen.
- In dysmenorrhea, fever, renal calculi and difficulty in micturition decoction of meshshrungi used in quantity of 40-50ml.
- Meshashringi seed powder i with honey is used to treat dyspnea and cough.
- Meshshringi root swaras (fresh juice) is used to treat snake poisoning.Dose-25-30ml BD
- The powder of the dried leaf (4 to 6 g) or fresh juice (25-30 ml) of leaf is given to reduce the sugar level in the blood.
Madhumeha (Diabetes mellitus)
KesaChoorna (Powder) of dried leaves of Mesasringi (Gymnemasylvestrae) is given in Madhumeha (Diabetes mellitus) which always checks the blood sugar level.
Sandhi sotha (Inflammation of Joints)
Leaf paste of Mesasringi (Gymnemasylvestrae) is applied over the joints. It is avery good remedy in case of Sandhi soth (Inflamation of joints)
- Formulation (Kalp)
MahaVisagarbhaTaila Vatavikara, Gridhrasi
Patra Choorna (Leaf Powder) – 3 to 6 gm.
MulaKwatha (Root decoction) – 50 to 100 ml.
- Research Corner
The anti obesity effect of water soluble fraction of Gymnemasylvestre extract (120 mg/kg, p.o. for 21 days) in HFD feb rats was evaluated by the measurement of body weight gain, food intake, hemodynamic changes (Systolic, diastolic, mean blood pressure and heart rate), serum lipid profiles (trigleptin, insulin, glucose, apoliporoteins, HDL-cholesterol), leptin, insulin, glucose, apolipoproteins A1 and B, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), glutathione peroxidase (GPx), glutathione reductase (GR), glutathione-S transferase (Gst), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) levels in liver tissues.