Now a days infertility is a big problem. The reason behind that is the sedentatory lifestyle,unhealthy food habit and stress.For about one in five infertile couples the problem lies solely in the male partner.
A man’s fertility is depend on two factors -1.the quantity and 2. quality of his sperm.
Known causes of male infertility
|Sperm production problems||• Chromosomal or genetic causes
• Undescended testes (failure of
the testes to descend at birth)
• Torsion (twisting of the testis in scrotum)
• Varicocele (varicose veins of the testes)
• Medicines and chemicals
• Radiation damage
• Unknown cause
|Blockage of sperm transport||• Infections
• Prostate-related problems
• Absence of vas deferens
(erection and ejaculation problems)
|• Retrograde and premature ejaculation
• Failure of ejaculation
• Erectile dysfunction
• Infrequent intercourse
• Spinal cord injury
• Prostate surgery
• Damage to nerves
• Some medicines
|Hormonal problems||• Pituitary tumours
• Congenital lack of LH/FSH (pituitary problem from birth)
• Anabolic (androgenic) steroid abuse
|Sperm antibodies||• Vasectomy
• Injury or infection in the epididymis
• Unknown cause
- Volume of semen.
- Sperm count – oligospermia, azoospermia, necrospermia.
- Motility of sperm.
- Structural defects of sperms – Due to vitiated vata dosha.
- Any obstruction in genital tract.
- Erectile dysfunction.
Ayurvedic Aspect of Male Infertility
- Ativyavayat – Over Sexual Activity
- Vyayamat – Over exertion.It includes both physical and mental extertion
- Avyayamat – Over relaxation, laziness or spending very leisure life.
- Asatmyanam cha sevanat –Excess intake of spicy, salted, sour, frozen foods, foods . Routine habits like sleeping very late at night, hectic lifestyle leads to disparity of Rakta and Pitta Dosha, ultimately causing Shukra kshaya
- Akale – It means at inappropriate time; i.e. before desirable age specifically before age of 16 in females and 18 in that of males, or beyond the age of 65-70 where the body faces generalised debility. Another aspect explains having intercourse very frequently and many times (5-6 times) in a day also leads to debility of Shukra dhatu.
- Ayonau – It includes Masturbation, oral or anal sex etc.
- Maithunam Na Cha Gachataha – Suppression of sexual urge.
- Narinam Arasaudnyata – Having intercourse with undesirable partner
- Another causes are fear, stress, sorrow, tight clothing, working in hot environment for long duration.
- Smoking and alcohol consumption significantly affect virility in males.
- Long term Exposure to radiation
Trauma to the genital organs, generalised debility, muscle weakness and stress can result in erectile dysfunction.
Treating Male Infertility :
Lifestyle modification and food habits change is the main solution for that
Shodhan chikitsa i.e. cleansingness of body from toxins and vitiated doshas.
Vaman in Kapha dushti, Virechan in Pitta dushti and Basti in case of Vata dushti.
Panchakarma therapies like Abhyanga (whole body massage), Shirodhara, Nasya provide good support to physical and mental health
medicines like Gokshur, Guduchi, Triphala, etc.shows good result in obstructive pathology and infection
Uttar Basti treatment serves beneficial in cases of obstructive pathologies, it as well strengthens the muscles of urinary tract and reproductive system.
Rejuvenation therapy reuniform the body externally as well as internally. It enhances body vitiality and body strength.
Medicines like Chyawanprash, Musali paak, Rasayan vati, Kandarpa paak, Kushmand avleha is use for this purpose.
Aphrodisiac Therapies are of 3 types :
- Sperm generating or enhancing sperm count.
- Those which helps in ejaculation of seminal fluid.
- Medicines which serve both the above purpose.
Medicines like Shatavari, Nagbala, Bala, Musali, Ashwagandha, Milk, Ghee, Haritaki, Amla, Yastimadhu, Pippali, Shatavari kalpa plays an essential role in improving count of efficient sperms.
Kapikacchu, Vidari, Gokshur, Shatavari, Ashwagandha, Bruhati phala, medicinal preparations like Vrushya vati, Shilajatu, Vanari kalpa cures problems related to Semen ejaculation.
Gokshur, Ashwagandha, Musali, Kapikacchu, Pippali, Milk, Ghee, Fruits and fruit juices; and the most important aspect – pleasant relaxed state of mind is the key ingredient to treat infertility. Vrushya vati not only increases sperm count qualitatively and quantitatively, but also improves vigor, it also takes care of problems like impotency, loss of libido.
All the above mentioned medicines can be used in powder form, or for superior results they should be used in the form of medicated milk or ghee, Because oleation and revitalization of cells is an integral part of the treatment.
Yoga for Fertility:
Regular exercise and yoga also provide good health of body and mind
Exercises like padmasan, mool bandha to strengthen and optimize the functionality of the desired organs.
Padmasana- Lotus pose asan.
It increases blood flow to the perineum. It directs prana to the lower two chakras which are responsible for sexual functions. By just contracting and relaxing the pelvic floor greatly enhances the circulation to the reproductive system.
‘Bruhana Dravya’- enhances the shukra dhatu by enhancing all the seven dhatus.
‘Vrishya Dravya’ – enhances the reproductive tissue i.e shukra dhatu
- Fresh, organic fruits and vegetables
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds
- Dairy proteins, including milk,cream, ghee, lassi, and panir (a fresh cheese made of milk)
- Sweet, juicy fruits such as mangoes, peaches, plums, and pears
- Dried fruits such as dates, figs, and raisins
- Herbs like Ashoka (Saraca indica), Aamla (Emblica oficinalis), Pippali (Piper longum), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), etc., are age old proven rejuvenators.
- The generic preparations like Chyavanprashavaleha, Brahmi Ghrita, and Agatsya Haritaki Avaleha are prescribed for the gain and maintenance of the strength and vigor.
- Milk , milk-date shake, milk-mango shake
- rice pudding
- Spices such as ajwain powder, cumin (which purifies the uterus in women and the genito-urinary tract in men), turmeric (to improve the interaction between hormones and targeted tissues), and black cumin, fenugreek, garlic, onion, and licorice are said to invigorate the reproductive organs.
Caution: Do not take licorice or fenugreek if you suspect you may be pregnant or after becoming pregnant.
- Herbs: Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera),
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosa) is considered the most important rejuvenative tonic for women Use Shatavari-kalpa
- Kapikacchu (Mucuna pruriens) is a proven medicine for increasing the sperm count in the patients of oligospermia and defective sperm formation.
- ‘Vrishavati’ is a safe, non hormonal aphrodisiac formulation. It is useful in male infertility due to Oligospermia and low sperm motility, impotency, loss of libido and other reproductive disorders. The ingredients such as Ashwagandha, Kavachbeej help to improve sexual functions ,quality and quantity of semen.
- Gokshura (Tribulis terrestris),
- Bala (Sida cordifolia)