A low sperm count is also known as oligospermia .Low sperm count means sperm quantity is fewer than 15million per ejaculation.
These problem leads to failure of conception.
Basically this is asymptomatic.some times it shows symptoms like
- Problems in Intercourse-Like low sexual desire
- Pain, swelling or a lump in the testicle area
- Decreased body hair and mostache
- Change in gait and body language
- Inflammation of epidydamis of testes,or some sexually transmitted infections, including gonorrhea or HIV can cause the testicular damage
- Errectile Dysfunction
- Surgery of bladder or urethra
- Spine surgery
- Medications like-alpha blockers ,steroids
- Tumors of pituitary gland
- Radiation or chemotherapy
- Undescended testicles.
- Hormone imbalances.
- Defects of tubules that transport sperm
- Chromosome defects..
- Celiac disease.A digestive disorder caused by sensitivity to gluten, celiac disease can cause male infertility. Fertility may improve after adopting a gluten-free diet.
- Certain surgeries.Certain surgeries might prevent you from having sperm in your ejaculate, including vasectomy, inguinal hernia repairs, scrotal or testicular surgeries, prostate surgeries, and large abdominal surgeries performed for testicular and rectal cancers, among others. In most cases, surgery can be performed to either reverse these blockages or to retrieve sperm directly from the epididymis and testicles.
- Industrial chemicals like herbicides, pesticides, organic solvents, painting materials and lead might contribute to low sperm counts.
- Heavy metal exposure.
- Radiation or X-raysexposure
- Drugs like cocaine or marijuana reduce the quality and quantity of sperm
- Alcohol consumption
- Tobacco smoking.
- Emotional stress.
To protect your fertility, avoid known factors that can affect sperm count and quality. For example:
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Manage stress.
- Avoid exposure to pesticides, heavy metals and other toxins.
- Ayurveda explained a separate branch which deals with the management of defective semen and spermatogenesis along with sexual potencification, is called as Vajikarana tantra
- The treatment of Oligospermia comprises of administration of rasayanas and vajikara dravyas or medicines (virilificatory or aphrodisiacs) internally,
- Panchakarma treatment like kshetrikaran means suddhi of whole body by panchkarmas are effective
- Panchkarma like basti,uttarbasti,shiridhara,virechan,vaman are advisiable
Herbs like kapikacchu,ashwagandha,gokshur,mash,amalki,shatavari,are advisiable