Hyper means overactive.Overactive functioning of thyroid gland is known as hyprthyroidism.In this disease thyroid gland releases too much of thyroid harmone.
Anatomy-Thyroid gland is butterfly shaped.It is located in neck region,below Adam’s Apple. These secreates thyroid harmone which helps in body metabolism These harmone affects heart rate ,muscles,bones,menstrual cycle and functioning of other harmones.
Hyperthyroidism can be related to Graves’ disease. This is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid gland.
Symptoms of hyperthyroidism
- Severe weight loss.
- Rapid heart rate or abnormal heart rate
- Nervousness, anxiety, or touchiness.
- Tremors of hands and fingers
- Increased sensitivity to heat.
- Irregular menses ith irregular flow
- Increased sweating.
- Changes inbowel
- An enlarged thyroid gland
- Muscle weakness.
- Sleep distrubence
- Increased appetite.
Mostly hyperthyroidism is caused by Graves’ disease. Two other common causes for hyperthyroidism are:
- Hyperfunctioning (overactive) thyroid nodules causes formation of One or more nodules or lumps in the thyroid gland which increases the production of the thyroid hormone.
- Thyroiditis- Inflammation of thyroid gland due to ttack of viruses. This causes extra thyroid hormone to leak into your bloodstream
According to Ayurveda, due to vitiation doshas,agni become impaired.(Digestive fire) which leads to stroto-avarodh( blockage of small channels) results in unproper functioning of thyroid gland. Hyperthyroidism occurs due to vitiation of vata and pitta doshas. Impaired vayu and pitta go into various channels and systems of the body and cause the disease. The two vitiated doshasoverstimulate the gastric fire which leads to excessive hunger. Over stimulation of Vata results in tremors in the extremities, sleeplessness, nervousness and difficulty to concentrate the mind.
Virechan with Nishottar and triphala can help in treating hormonal imbalance
Bast- Basti with dashmool decoction and errand dashmoolasnehaulters the parkupitvatadosha
Nasya- Nasya with ksheerbala and panchendriyavardhan tail helps in hormonal imbalancing.
- For Excessive sweating and heat intolerance -KamdudhaRas, Praval-Panchamrut, Praval-Bhasma, Chandrakala-Ras and Sutshekhar-Ras are used
- To increase bowel movement -Kutaj-Parpati, Panchamrut-Parpati and Bilva-Avelaha are used .
- For Fatigue and muscular weakness- Makardhwaj, Suvarna-Malini-Vasant, Kharjur-Manth, Drakshasav and Lohasav can be used
- For Mentrual cycle regulartion-Yograj-Guggulu, Boladi-Vati, Kumaryasav and Gandharva-Haritaki are used
- For Nervousness, tremor and anxiety-Brahmi, Jatamansi, Shankhpushpi, Sarpagandha, Saraswatarishta and Dashmoolarishta are used
Medicines used to treat Grave’s Disease or inflammation of the Thyroid Gland— Arogya-Vardhini, Panch-Tikta-Ghrut-Guggulu, Triphala-Guggulu, Punarnavadi-Guggulu, Maha-Manjishthadi-Qadha, Amalaki (Emblicaofficinalis), Haritaki (Terminaliachebula), Behada (Terminaliabellerica), Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata), Saariva (Hemidesmusindicus), Usheer (Vetiveriazizanioidis), Chandan (Santalum album), Nimba (Azadirachtaindica), Guduchi (Tinosporacordifolia) and Gokshur (Tribulusterrestris).
For Immunity-Shatavari,Aswagandha,Bala,Nagbalarasayan can be used.
- Meditation, Pranayama and Yogasanasplay a vital role in maintaining thyroid health. Yoga therapy for the Vishuddha or fifth throat chakra helps to heal the thyroid gland.Chanting of ‘Om’ while meditating balances thyroid function. Sheetali, Sheetkari, NadiShodhan, Bhramari, and UjjayiPranayam, and practice of asanas like Suryanamaskar at slow pace, shoulder stand(Sarvangasana), plough (Halasana), fish(matsyasana), and lion poses are beneficial.