In Ayurveda it is called as ‘Vatarakta”. It mainly affects the small joints in the body. It is more common in mens than females. In females it occurs before the age of menopause.
It is the type of arthritis in which deposition of uric acid occurs in the cartilages of the joints. Gout first affects the big toe causing it to swell and become very painful. In the next stages it spreads to the ankles, knees, joints of hands and feet, the wrist and elbow.
It also cause swelling and inflammation of joints,,swelling of muscle tendon and its covering(tenosynovitis),swelling of joint space (bursitis),fluid collection in cavity (cellulitis) and kidney diseases like renal calculi.
- Renal Failure
- Use of Diuretics
- Down’s syndrome
- Excessive anger,
- Night awakenind
- Day sleeping
- excessive traveling,
- Excessive physical exercises
- excessive sexual activity
- suppression of natural urges
- Joints become red,hot
- Swelling over joints
- Tenderness in joints
- Pricking pain in joints
- Burning sensation.
- Change of color of the skin
Due to increased intake of spicy,sour,salty,alkaline and heavy food Vitiation (impairment) of vata dosha and rakt dhatu happened. This impaired doshas travel goes in to circulation through out the body and get accumulated at the smaller joints causing damage to the tissues and bones of the joint resulting in vatarakt.
- Guduchi swarasa,guduchi kwath
- Haritaki churna
- Guggul Kalpa-Amruta guggul,kaishor guggul,rasnadi guggul.
- Parushaka ghruta,dwipanchmula ghrit,Baladi ghrita,shravanyadi ghruta
- Kashmaryadi Kwath,Dhatryadi Kwath
- Snehayukta Virechana-unctous or rough mild purgatives
- Basti- Medicated enema
- Alternate basti of sneha dravya and niruha dravya
- Raktamokshana-Withdrawl of blood through Leech or Siravedh
- Abhyangam-with the help of Pinda tail or Amrutadya Tail
- Pradeha-ointment application.