Globus hystericus is known as globuspharyngeus. It is a sensation of nodule jammed in throat which is painful in upper chest also. The feeling of such nodular knot is persistent and becomes more painful while swallowing. There is no such actual presence of knot but it is a feeling due to various psychogenic as well as physical factors. The lump feeling could be painful or non painful but is usually irritating.
This condition, if caused by a mental factor such anxiety or stress, can hard to identify and treat and it persists for long period. The same condition can arise in future as well if proper precautions are not adopted.
The condition is the most primitive form of disease occurred due to mental condition. It happens to be 2500 years old diagnosed disease as it has been recorded by hippoculus. The condition was named as globushystericus as it was also diagnosed in the women going through menopause as it is well known that women go through various psychological changes during menopause. Later in 1968, it was named as ‘Globus pharyngus’ as it was detected that it is not mainly connected with hysterical effects.
The state is common nowadays in both men and women. However, women are more likely to report for said condition.
The astonishing fact is that there are only 43% of healthy people who acknowledge the symptoms of this condition as per the present data.
The various factors of globushystericus are both psychogenic and physical. These include:
- Stress and anxiety
- Restlessness or insomnia
- Anatomical abnormality
- Underdeveloped tissues
- Voice stretching
- Bad air quality intake
- Rare tumors
Increasing and growing of the symptoms can make the condition worst in patients. There are various signs of globus hystericus which include various sensations in the throat as:
- Tightness and knot felt in throat
- Pain in chest while swallowing
- Sense of choked throat
- Feeling of glass chips prickling in throat
- Burning and soreness in one or more parts of throat like larynx or hypopharynx
- Irritation in nerves and muscles of throat region
- Inflammation accompanied by head cold
- Weight loss
- Weakness of muscles
- Minor voice changes like huskiness
There are various ayurvedic treatments which can help treat the symptoms of globus hystericus. Some of them include:
- Providing a warm water pack in the throat region using a towel
- Consumption of ayurvedic herbs like:
- Basil – Boil the basil leaves in water for 10 minutes before drinking it
- Cinnamon – Drink cinnamon tea twice or thrice a day
- Turmeric – Boil turmeric in water and use that water for gargling as it has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities
- Cloves – Chew a few pieces of cloves regularly to get rid of soreness in throat
- Certain pranayama like anulom-vilom is also very effective to treat the condition if it is in fact caused by stress.
- It is also recommended to avoid caffeine, smoking, chilled drinks and fried foods.