Epilepsy is a condition where transient loss of consciousness is found for certain period of time which may last from few seconds to few minutes.
Ayurveda explains epilepsy under the name Apsmaar.
According to Acharya Charaka-there is complete or ocassional loss of consciousness associated with suspended memory, intellect and mind.
- Consumption of unwholesome food habit
- Subconscious fear
- Debilitated mind
- Irregularly over excited doshas etc.
- Contracted eyebrows
- Continuous deviation of the eyes
- Auditory hallucination
- Salivation and nasal discharge
- Loss of interest in food
- Sensation of spasm or congestion of heart
- Gurgling sound in the abdomen
- Pain all over the body muscles and joints
- Feeling of darkness
- Dreams of intoxication, dancing, stabbing, falling etc.
Important features of epilepsy (apasmara)
- Convulsions with teeth biting
- Dribbling of frothy saliva
- Expiratory dyspnea
- Roughness of the body
- Red or black discoloration of the body surface
- Involuntary speech or murmuring
- Head retraction to one side
- Constriction of the fingers
- Unstable movements of the limbs etc.
Vaman-emesis with decoction of madanphal and yastimadhu
Virechana-Purgation with Amaltas,shunthi and errand tail
Nasya-Shodhan nasya-by vacha tailam
Rasayan chikitsa-Which strengthen the body and mind
- Shankhapushpi- Convolvulus pluricaulis
- Kooshmanda-Ash gourd– Benincasa hispida (Thunb.) Cogn.
- Jyotishmati- Celastrus paniculata
- Yastimadhu- Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Jatamamsi- Nardostachys jatamansi
- Tagara- Valeriana jatamansi
- Lashuna-Garlic- Allium sativa
- Amalaki-Gooseberry- Emblica officinalis
- Rasna- Pluchea lanceolata B. Clarke.
- Hingu-Asafetida- Ferula narthex
- Choraka- Angelica glauca
- Kushta- Saussurea costus (Fale.) Lipsch.
- Phalgu-Fig- Ficus carica
- Brahmi- Bacopa monnieri (Linn.) Pennell.
Formulations recommended for apasmara: