Do’s & Do’nts of DIABETES
For the good control of sugar level diet and excersice is very important.Good control of sugar maintain the health of person and also prevents the complication of disease.
In Samhita ahardravyas described as follows
:1) Dhanyavarga (Cereals):Yava (Hordeumvulgare) are very good for diabetic patient.
Various types ofYavapreparation can be used eg. Mantha (drink prepared of roasted corn flour), Odana (boiled rice), Apoopa(sweet made by wheat flour and sugar fried in ghee), bread, Roti etc. Gehu(wheat), different varieties of rice such as Kangu (Setariaitalica), Shyamaka (Echinochloafrumentacea), Kodrava (Paspalumscrobiculatum), can also be given.
Old rice (Jirna or PuranaShali) as one of the cereals, which can be given to the diabetic patient.
2) Shimbivarga (Pulses): Mudga (Vignaradiata Green gram) is the best, Chanak(Cicerarientium), Kulattha (Dolichosbiflorus),Adhaki (Cajanuscajan) etc. can be taken.
3) Shakavarga (Vegetables): All the types of bitter vegetables (Tikatarasatmka) eg. Karela (Momordicacharantia), Methi (Trigonellafoenum- graecum), Patola (Vietnamese luffa), Rasona (Allium sativum), Udumbara (Ficusracemosa) etc. are best for diabetic
4) Haritavarga (Leafy vegetables):Katillaka (Momordicacharantia), Shigrupatra (Moringaoleifera), Lonika (Portulaceaoleracea), Dronapushpipatra (Leucascephalotes), Guduchipatra (Tinosporacardifolia), Kakamachipatra (Solanumnigrum), Vastuka can be given in madhumehi.
5) Phalavarga (Fruits):Jambu (Syzygiumcumini),Amalaki (Phyllantusemblica), Kapitha (Limoniaacidissima), Talaphala ,Kharjura(Phoenix sylvestris) etc. can be given.
6) Beeja (Seeds): Kamala (Nelumbonucifera), Utpala (Nymphoea stellate) seeds can be allowed.
7) Mamsavarga (Flesh): AjaMamsa (Goat), Harina (Dear), Shashaka (Rabbit), birds like Kapota, Titira etc. flesh can be given.
8) Sura (Liquor): old sura can be given.
9) Tailavarga (Oils): SarshapaTaila (Mustard oil) is best, Tilataila can also be given.
10) Others: Takrapan-Buttermilk prepared by manthankirya is advisiable.
According to Ayurveda, always took light diet (laghuahar) through out a day.
PATHYA VIHAR (EXERCISE):
Vigorous exercises causes the proper utilization of fat and to consume the glucose in the body.Hence it is advisible in diabetic and obese patient.
The methods can be changed in the present time according to habitat (Desha), and time (Kala). Some of the hard, productive exercises prescribed by Sushruta are as under: (1) Vyayama (exercise), (2) Niyuddha (fighting), (3) Kreeda (Games), (4) Gajacharya, Turagacharya, Padacharya to ride an elephant, horse, cart riding, walking etc.
There are other exercises according to the financial position and also according to their community. These are: 1. For poor class – the diabetic should walk for about 100 yojan (miles), bare footed, not staying more than one night in the settled place, should only eat the things available by begging and keeping restraint on his sense organs (adopt the lifestyle of Aptapurusha).
- For rich class- they should eat only Shyamaka (Echinochloafrumentacea), Kodrava (Paspalumscrobiculatum), etc., Amalaka (Phyllantusemblica), Kapitha (Limoniaacidissima), etc, and reside with the cattle. The foodstuff for them should be Ruksha or they may stay with the cows and eat the above, which comes with the cow dung.
- For others- either farming or digging the well etc.
- Yoga, Asana &Pranayam: Asanas like Suryanamaskar, Dhanurasana, Sarvangasana, Halasanaetc; it improves all sort of metabolism in the body.
APATHYAKAR AHAR AND VIHAR-
Consumption of new rice,newcerals(navindhanya)
— Excessive use of curd
— Meat soup of the domestic, aquatic and marshy animals, and
— New sura (liquor)
— Products of gud or jaggery
— All other kapha-prakopakahar-madhur,amla and lavanrasatmakaahar
Guru aharsevan-excessive intake of food which are heavy to digest such as fried foods
Fermented food like idali,dosa
All types of bakery items like biscuits,bread
Excessive consumption of water.
- Excessive sleep
Lack of exercise
3.Excessive Mental stress and strain
5.Night awakening (ratrijagaran)