Deep vein thrombosis And Ayurveda–
- Deep vein thrombosis is commonly termed as DVT.
- Deep vein thrombosis is the formation of blood clot in the deep vein.
- It can manifest as superficial leg pain causing superficial thrombo phlebitis.
- Thrombo phlebitis is a disorder in which formation of blood clots (thrombus) and inflammation of the vein occurs.
- The squeezing action of calf muscle to dissolve the thrombus in deep vein. Especially In convalasing persons.
- A thrombus in the deep vein is dangerous.
- Thrombo phlebitis is painful but not harmful.
- Thrombus can cause pulmonary embolism.
- It is seen In Buergers disease, disorders of coagulation, air travel after child birth, old age, smoking etc., prolonging bed rest can also produce this.
- It is seen after hip replacement surgery.
- It is also seen in healthy people who sit for long time.
Causes of Deep Vein Thrombosis
Being immobile after surgery.
In bedridden patients due to paralysis, coma, etc.
If you are suffering from clotting disorder.
Sitting for a prolonged duration.
Certain medical conditions like cancer, IBS, obesity, heart failure.
Overuse of birth control pills.
Symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Mostly no symptoms.
- Chest pain may be caused by pulmonary embolism.
- Calf muscles swell and painful.
- The deep vein thrombosis blocks the blood flow in the large vein.
- There may be oedema of foot or leg which will be prominent at the end of the day.
- Skin becomes reddish brown.
- Swelling of the affected limb.
- Cramping muscular pain.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Ultrasound venous Doppler of both lower limb
- Pulmonary embolism can be scanned by radio active marker
- Patient should flex and extend the ankle about 10 times every 30 minutes.
- Wearing elastic stockings help in blood flow.
- Foot must be raised 6 inches to prevent the thrombus from enlarging during sleep.
- Try to move your legs often.
- Do regular exercise.
- Stop smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Lose excess weight by exercise and diet if you are obese.
- Drugs should be continued for 6 months.
- Compression bandages are useful.
- Take frequent breaks to stretch your legs and walk around a bit in office hours (specially sedentary job style).
Eat more garlic, ginger and turmeric in your diet. Garlic is a natural blood thinner whereas ginger and turmeric have anti-inflammatory property.
- If ulcers develop manage them accordingly
- Management of Deep Vein Thrombosis
Acute Deep Vein Thrombosis-
If you have acute deep vein thrombosis, you may require hospitalisation.
In Chronic Deep Vein Thrombosis-
Raktamokshan is best treatment.It is done with the help of leech or syringe.
- Triphala kashayam
- Aragvadadi kasayam
- Guggulu tiktaka kasayam
- Sahacaradi kasayam
- Saddaranam curnam
- Arjun kshirapak
- Haritaki churna
- Gokshur churna
- Punarnava bharad
- Triphala guggul
- Navak Guggul
- Guggulu pancaphalam
- Saddaranam gulika
- Gomutra haritaki curnam-
- Dasamula haritaki lehyam-
- Mahamandisthadi Kwath