The condition in which the bile is restricted to flow from the liver to the duodenum .Means there is reduction or stoppage of bile flow. This will cause the auto digestion or necrosis in the cells of the liver. It leads to acute liver failure also.
Types of Liver Cholestasis
There is mechanical blockage in the bile duct which can inhibit the flow of bile.
- Bile Duct Tumors.
- Narrowing of bile duct
- Gall stones
- Pancreatic pseudocyst or tumor.
- Infection in bile duct
Any intrinsic condition at the cellular level in the liver can restrict the flow of bile.
- cancers in the liver.
- Bacterial abscess.
- Viral hepatitis.
- Sepsis or the spreading of infection through the blood stream.
- Drugs like acetaminophen, flucloxacillin, erthromycin, aspirin, ibuprofen
Symptoms of the condition
- Itchy skin or pruritis
- Yellowish skin Mostly seen in the ostructive type
- Pale or clay coloredstool seen in the obstructive type of the disease.
- Dark urine.
- pale stools in hepatocellular type
- Stools may become pale yellow in colour.
- Stools contain steatorrhea.
- Lack of bile in the intestine produces calcium and vitamin D deficiency.
- There will be bleeding tendency.
- Alkaline phosphatase is very high.
- Ultra sound, CT will be useful in the diagnosis.
- Saptasaramkasayam –
- Ciravilvadikasayam –
- Citrakagrantyadikasayam –
- Jamun rasa
- Varunadi kwath
- Vardhamanapippali Rasayana