Amavata- means accumulation of Ama (apakwa rasa) in joints leads to the disease called as Amavata.
This is very painful condition of arthritis.
Ama- Viated dosha causes agnimandya (sluggish diagestion).Due to agnimandya the diagestive juice which was formed was Apakwa (unproperly diagested/immature). This apakwa rasa goes through the circulation in all over tissue and body organs. As it is immature tissue can take it but can not metabolise it .Therefore it remains as it is in cell.This Ama was sticky in nature.It blocked the all small channels in the body due to this body cells and tissues do not get proper nutrition. And this leads to the multiple damage of organs and tissues.
Viruddha ahar sevan
Ati guru ahar sevan-Heavy food
Atibhojan/Ajirnashana- Intake of food in very much quantity or intake of food befor its diagestion
Avyayama-Lack of exersice
Nischala-sedentory life style
Snigdha,madhur bhojanam-intake of oily food and sweet things
Intake of fermented food
Due to all mentioned causes ama is formed in body.The viated Vata pushes this ama to all over the body through blood circulation.This viated vata pushes this ama mainly in to the shleshma sthana(kapha Pradesh) i.e in joints and muscles.This viated vata and kapha was combined with morbid pitta which cause the further corrosing of ama .This corrosive ama destroys any tissue and organs with which it comes in to contact.
Pre dormal Signs And Symptoms(Purvaroopa)
- Aruchi-tastelessness,lack of appetite
- Trishna-excessive thirst
- Aalasya-loss of energy,lethargy
- Gaurava-body heaviness
- Shunyata-swelling over joints
- Muscle and joint aches
Main Signs and symptoms-
Saruja shopha-Painful swelling over the all joints
Vrishikadanshavata vedana-Pricking sensation injoints
Utsaha hani-lack of enthusiasm
Daaha-burning sensation in joints
Bahumutrata-increased frequency of urine
Shool-pain in all over body
Kukshi kathinya—Hardness of abdomen
- Stiffness of joints, especially during morning hours (morning stiffness)
Also, during flares joints becomes warm, red and swollen. The small joints of both hands and wrists are usually involved.
X-ray of Joint
Management Of RA With Ayurveda
Modern science has no known cure for rheumatoid arthritis. The role of treatment in RA is to reduce joint inflammation and pain, maximize joint function and prevent joint destruction and deformity.
Physical therapy has no curative effect for arthritis nor does it alter the course of the disease process. The objectives of physical therapy are analgesia, maintenance of normal ranges of motion in involved joints, maintenance of normal power in muscles involved, protection of joints against additional trauma that might result in further structural deterioration / deformity.
Amavata: The Ayurvedic Correlation To Rheumatoid Arthritis
In Ayurveda, the clinical correlation of RA is Amavata. The following line of treatment is explained in the classical Ayurvedic texts for Amavata.
- Langhana (Fasting)
- Shodhana chikitsa (purification of the body)-Done by Panchkarma
- Shamana chikitsa (treatment to reduce symptoms)-Done with Using medicines
Swedan-By valuka pottali,or patrapottali
- Virechana-purgation by medicines like shunthi siddha eranda tail,abhayadi modaka
- Vasti-Medicated oil’s enema
Generally vaitaran basti or kshar basti or dashmula eranda basti is used in Amavata
- Dhanyamla dhara
- Lepanam-Application of medicated paste on affected part
- Raktamokshana-Jalukavacharana- withdrawl of blood with the help of Leech
Tikta ,katu dravya sevan-deepaniya dravyasevan-which promotes the diagestion
RA Diet And Lifestyle Regimen
- Avoid curd, fish, milk, urad dal and jaggery
- Exposure to cold and clumsy weather should be avoided
- Fermented products should be avoided
- Avoid use of curd
- Consume horse gram, ginger, bitter gourd and drumsticks
- Intake of garlic is advised
- Avoid day time sleep
- Evacuate bowels regularly
- Always use warm water to drink and for taking a bath
- Reduce stress by practicing yoga and meditation
- Weight should be controlled, avoid a high fat diet